6/15/2011

I shot an elephant in my pajamas

Not much progress in the early part of this evening, but it was moving forward. When I started the animating phase, I'd do a whole bunch of movements keyframes, and curve tweaks, and it would get better and better until I did something that had unintended consequences and I couldn't fix it without adding a load of corrective keyframes, which I could never get smooth. This evening, even though I was moving slowly, I seemed to be getting the hang of it, and anything that did go wrong I could track down the source fairly quickly and correct it. But it was still very slow. It seems in all other areas, you can cut corners, fake things, but the animation part it just seems it takes as long as it takes. I hadn't realized how much time this would suck up.

So to try and be a little more effective, I went back and did some reading on the non-linear action editor and I feel a lot better about it now and I hope to move a little quicker tomorrow. I have also got over the hump I had been trying to get over for a few days with cyclic actions, but with an extra layer on top.

Maybe that 10 day period is not achievable after all, but then I did stray from my original idea of using mattes and cutouts and everything is 3d. I hope to get another shot at a dummy run (assuming I can finish this one), so maybe I can figure it out with that. Perhaps I may finish it this weekend when I have more time? Anyway, I'm on Day 19 (of 10) and there's no way it's going to be finished for 20. Once that deadline is gone, I have no other targets, I just need to make sure I'm making progress and that I actually see it through. It might even help the quality as maybe I'll tweak some more stuff before it's done. But I musn't do that until I have completed all areas. Having a section ready for render but bad is better than not having it ready for render.

No comments:

Post a Comment