6/03/2011

I feel the need. The need for speed!

I started writing out a script. My plan was just to keep writing, if I got stuck, then just move to a later point in the story. I wanted to avoid stopping and thinking or judging what I'd written. Then I'd go back and make corrections, make it better. But it got to a point where I thought "this is all just dialogue": I'm writing 12 angry men. And while I still like the original idea, I wonder how it can be made without stuffing it full of words, with no supporting action. It was too ambitious for what I was doing here.

I need to take a step back and simplify, even if that means chucking the whole idea out. I need to tell the story visually. I need it to be simple. I knew writing would be the hard part. I thought I had a head start with a pretty good idea and the rest would just flow, but I think the idea is too complex for this format. The real challenge is getting a courtroom drama that doesn't rely on dialogue exchanges, that can be told simply and visually.

I'm starting to get a little concerned over the lack of progress over the past few days, but I think the end is still achievable. If I can just get a simple story hashed out ... maybe if I'm desperate, just abandon story and go for something surreal. Then I have the weekend to flesh that out into an animation.

No comments:

Post a Comment